Monday, October 13, 2008

Thai!

My plane got in from McMurdo a little after 10PM last night. It was past 11 before I got to my hotel and my head hit the pillow-- a long day.

This was the day to get bus passes, calling cards, and talk to the travel agent about my Australia trip. Absolutely unbelievably gorgeous here. Probably 75F, bright sun, and a little breezy. It feels a little hot after being on the ice, but I'm not complaining.

I ran into an ice friend this morning, and we went out to breakfast. I had two huge pieces of toast, piled with roasted mushrooms, red and green peppers, cauliflower and broccoli, smothered in homemade hollandaise sauce. It was to die for, especially after eating flavorless, frozen galley chow for eight months. I'm in heaven here.

Dinner tonight was Phad Poong Ga-Ree at the Ironsides Thai Cafe, near my hotel. Huge, fresh prawns, mussels, calamari, and vegetables in a fiery hot creamy sauce. That was worth the eight-month wait, and I'm just getting started.

Tomorrow: Sun Worship!

No comments: