Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Midwinter Dinner


Sorry, I've gotten behind on my blog posting. It's been a week and a half since our big midwinter celebration. Everybody gets dressed up, and the galley puts on a gourmet feast. It's quite a shindig. It's so dark and cold here this time of year that the midpoint of the winter is a very significant milestone. It's ten days past the solstice now, and I think I see a little lightening in the sky. The lightest time of the day is about 1PM (it's a long story why it's not noon...), and I see a faint purple glow on the horizon. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the sun again.


I've had a round of fierce insomnia in the last month or so. Not quite as bad as last year, where I didn't get a decent night's sleep for two months. Finally went to the doc and got some mild sleeping pills, and I've been sleeping my brains out for the last few days. A lot of folks have that problem down here. Our circadian rhythms are kind of in free fall for a couple of months. Add to that the fact that our diets are less than ideal, and we get zero vitamin D, and you have a recipe for some sleepless nights. I credit the fact that I'm doing better than last year to taking a multi-vitamin.


This picture was taken at the midwinter dinner. These are the the IT guys, with me hiding out in the back. That's Eric, Mark, me, Joel and Grump in the back. In front are Ken, Mark, and Antz (http://www.antarcticimages.com/).

No comments: